Shopping is Important

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Have you heard of simpleliving.net? It's not the glossy magazine, Real Simple, that has a lot of products you "need" to be organized. I get the simpleliving newsletter, which is about ways to reduce your standard of living to simplify your life so you can live according to your values. I think people who have read Your Money or Your Life get the values message without much introduction, but those who haven't read it might think that it's just Real Simple Cheap. An article in the latest issue of the newsletter is really sticking with me. The author lives so frugally that he doesn't pay federal taxes. The reason he does this is because it's against his principles to pay for the war in Iraq. The title of the article is Your War Doesn't Fit into my Budget, Frugal Living as a Form of Tax Resistance. Here's a factoid from the article: the average American household has given $4000 toward the Iraq war effort so far. My conscience is bothering me. How do you feel?

http://www.simpleliving.net/news/2007_january_february.asp#03

2 Comments:

  • I feel a little bloated and crabby. I think I'm retaining Halloween, Thanksgiving, a fruitcake and Christmas. You are obviously in touch with more of your brain than I am. I salute you!

    By Blogger Natalie, at 7:27 PM  

  • Saluting you back, kiddo. My astrology friend told me to make an altar of what you want to bring into your life. I did! Had to dust first, but it was fun. I made two, one for me and one for the family. Come over and see our coffee table and altars!

    By Blogger Anna Banana, at 7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home