Shopping is Important

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Did you know??? Only about 10% of the fossil fuel energy used in the world's food system is used in production; the other 90% goes into packaging, transportation, and marketing. Buy local! Check out foodroutes.org and enter their Buy Local Challenge. You can enter their drawing to win a free box of local food. I just did!

Today I picked up my box of local farm grown food. For $20 I got bok choy, strawberries, arugula, romaine lettuce, oranges, apples, carrots, cabbage, and celery. Enough for 2 weeks, and it stays fresh that long because it didn't have to travel a zillion miles before it got to me. Oh, BTW, it's all organically grown and really delicious. Join a community-supported agriculture group and get your own box of veggies. Or grow your own, even better! What are you having for dinner tonight?

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home