Shopping is Important

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

I went to Disneyland with my family last Saturday. I feel the need to mitigate. Here are some tips for your next shopping trip. I got them from the San Diego Natural Guide (and revised a few). They left one out: bring your cloth bags into the store instead of leaving them in your trunk (like I do too often).

On average,an individual throws out almost 4 pounds of waste a day (almost a ton of garbage per year). Before making a purchase, ask yourself:

1. Do I really need this?
2. Can I borrow it, rent it, or freecycle it?
3. Can it be recycled, reused, or repaired?
4. How much energy and resources were consumed to create this and transport it to me?
5. Can I get it in a form that has recycled content, was grown organically, or has less packaging?
6. Was this product produced in an environmentally sustainable and socially just manner?
7. Even if this product seems sustainable, do I really want my $ to go to this company?

Buy locally and thoughtfully. Tell your kids and your friends.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home